Sunday, December 18, 2011

Open House

Growing up, the concept of an open house meant one thing, and one thing only - the house had a big old "for sale" sign on the front lawn, and strangers were welcomed in by the real estate agent to take a look at a perspective home. Sometimes my parents and I would wander into these open houses on a Sunday afternoon, if such house happened to be in the neighbourhood. I never really questioned the antics of my folks; I suppose it was to get decorating ideas and keep an eye on the market. I loved seeing the inside of houses, especially living rooms and kitchens. But there was always something eerie about an open house that as a child, I couldn't quite put my finger on.

The houses were open, but the people were closed.

I don't remember one single open house where the inhabitants were actually there, telling prospective home owners about the history of the home, or what the house meant to them and their families, or why they were moving. The most important part of the house was simply.... absent.

Tonight I went to my first, grown-up open house where the family wasn't leaving. In fact, upon asking them if they'd entertain the idea of moving (since their daughter, a close colleague of mine, has moved out), they told me with fervent attestation that they would never move. They live in a beautiful 6.5, a gorgeous brownstone walk-up on Jeanne Mance, right in the golden square mile of Montreal. My friend has lived in this home, a co-op, ever since she was adopted at two months old.

Each year, her and her family make about 20 different dishes from scratch, and several dessert trays as well. There were many options for me as a gluten-free guest, and even one special tray of carmel marshmallow squares. But what touched me most about the evening was spending a few hours in the apartment, envisioning what it will be like to raise children one day in an urban environment.

When I was growing up, I didn't have any close friends from Toronto. We were all suburbia kids. In order to get from place to place, we hopped in each other's minivans, went to MacDonalds and hit up the mall. We went back to our homes for dinner, and didn't walk alone after dark. We were sheltered.

Life in the city isn't as clean or quiet. You'll find a million unique characters living in a million different spaces. But if you open your mind and your heart, you're sure to find a supportive and caring community to depend upon.

An open house is the home of lovely people.

No comments:

Post a Comment